Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Blogland and Honey Nut Cheerios

My friend and fellow author, Tristi Pinkston, welcomed me to blogland when I posted my first blog. It was a monumental day.
I thought it was well-named actually. Blogland. It sounds like something in a fantasy book. For me it’s just as scary and daunting. This cyber-net mass info world I’m entering is scaring the willies out of me. I like comfortable things, like Microsoft Word where I spend the majority of my time. I sit in the very same chair every day with my laptop on the table in front of me and I roll the blinds this way and that to keep the sun out of my eyes depending on where it is in the sky in relation to my windows. I get up to pick up my kids from school and run their errands, and occasionally to fill a bowl of comfort food, like rocky road ice cream or Honey Nut Cheerios (Just so you know, those can’t be replaced by other brands. It’s the real thing, or nada).
I put out a chapter or two, run my five miles like a good girl should, and go through my emails. It’s all part of a day’s work. Except now I’m having to do things like blog and collect friends on Facebook. (If you’re one of them, welcome.)
Just so you know, it’s all a marketing ploy. My publisher is making me do it. They say the days of authors hiding behind their computers in between launching new titles are over. Bummer deal too, since that’s just what I want to do. Authors, as a general rule, run to eccentric introverts. Marketing is tough stuff for that kind of personality. They even want me to Tweet on Twitter, which I just can’t take seriously. How can anyone be expected to use something with such a ridiculous name? I feel like Tweety Bird every time I talk about it.
Here’s the thing though, for all I mock it and run from it and hide in my closet when I think about having to do it, I’ve met some remarkable people in that world called cyber-space. And who knew I’d meet real live friends on Facebook? The real thing. Amazing!

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to Blog-land. It is a fun place because later on when you have spent some time out here, and you go to a book signing, and then you see somebody you recognize from their picture in a comment thread, and you can call them by name... you will feel really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met Daron in Blogland, and now he's my bud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.howcast.com/videos/213774-How-To-Use-Twitter-For-Business has some tips for using Twitter for business purposes. There is another link that is about advanced search capabilities to narrow down your interests. http://tedchris.posterous.com/9-tips-for-new-twitter-users A third one you might like is http://www.squidoo.com/twitterapps. A site called bit.ly or tinyurl.com allows you to reduce link sizes for your tweets. Hope this helps. I was researching for myself anyway and thought I would share. --Steve O'Dell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Steve! At this point I can use all the help I can get:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was afraid of blogging, but I have been meeting a lot of great writer and book bloggers. They are all so supportive and give great advice and post inspiring things. I'm hoping to build up a following before I publish a book - if that day actually comes. I think I remember meeting you at the LDStorymakers Conference last spring. You were very quiet. Sorry haven't read your books. Guess I should check them out. I was curious about your book about David. What age group is that written for. Would it be a good book to read to kids? Welcome to the blogosphere Christy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary,
    I've had a lot of people ask that about my David book. It is the beginning of a series that will follow David throughout his life, so as the series goes on, it definitely gets more adult, but the first book ends just after Goliath, so it works well for teen fiction as well. I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete